Ontario Historical Education Collection (OHEC)
The Ontario Historical Education Collection includes approximately 6500 items. In addition to the Ontario Textbook Collection, the Ontario Historical Collection includes numerous documents, mainly from the Ontario Ministry of Education (formerly the Ontario Department of Education) that cover the areas of elementary, secondary and teacher education in the Province from the mid-nineteenth century to the present day.
The Collection includes, but is not limited to:
- Calendars: for teachers colleges, summer schools for teachers and model schools from early 1900s to 1979
- Circulars: including Circular 14, a list of textbooks authorized from 1873 to 1996. These are now available online through the Internet Archive.
- Course profiles, elementary curriculum units and exemplars: also available in circulating collections from 1990
- Curricula: for both elementary and secondary levels together with support documents from early 1900s to present
- Examinations: written province-wide including high school entrance, high school leaving, departmental, normal school and school inspector from 1873 to 1967
- H.S.1 documents: outlining requirements for high school graduation from 1943 to present
- Ontario teacher college yearbooks: from 1900s to 1970s
- Ontario teacher manuals: used in normal schools and teachers colleges from 1910s to 1930s
- Policy documents: examples include Cooperative Education, Opening or Closing Exercises for Public Schools in Ontario
- Policy/Program memorandum: from 1950s to present
- Programs for observation of special days: including Empire Day, Commonwealth Day, Remembrance Day and Arbour Day
- Regulations: covering legislative grants, religious education, etc.
- Reports: from nineteenth century to the present
Access to the collection is by appointment only.
Materials from the Ontario Historical Education Collection may not be borrowed. A staff member will determine if the condition of the material will allow it to be scanned or photocopied.
Please contact Monique Flaccavento (firstname.lastname@example.org; 416-978-1867) to book an appointment to use materials in this collection.
Find items in this collection by searching the library catalogue and refining results to "OISE Library" and then "Ontario Historical Ed".
For further information or to book an appointment contact:
Monique Flaccavento (email@example.com; 416-978-1867)