

OISE Library Student Advisory Board

Meeting Minutes (minute taker: Kate Reid)

November 23, 2017

Present:

Navroop

Desmond

Monique

Emily

Ian

Kate

Danielle (remote)

Ashleigh (remote)

Paula (remote, 5pm onward)

Mani (joined at 5:15pm)

Regrets:

Jason

Arielle

Begin (Monique chairs to begin):

1. Desmond: land acknowledgement

2. Introductions – all attendees

3. Minutes from last OLSAC meeting reviewed and approved

-Monique will post on website

4. Final review and approval of OLSAC Terms of References

-Monique will post on website to replace existing Terms of Reference document

5. Discuss time/date for next OLSAC meetings (Ian begins chairing)

-decide on Thursday, February 15: 5-6:30pm

-will decide at February meeting when to have the next meeting in April (due to exam schedules)

6. Monique quick announcement

Thursday, November 30 – 12-2pm, ground floor of the library: staff will be coming to discuss publishing, T-Space (uploading dissertations) and Open Access questions/issues

7. Accessibility Issue #1

Danielle: two accessibility programs at the library: we have access to ability services/tech applications/software but there is no way to access a password to use the technology, or how to attain the knowledge on how to access this technology

Monique: proposes that we include in the laptops a little flyer about text-to-speak software (Kurzweil), speech-to-text software (Dragon NaturallySpeaking), contact Jeananne for more information, and provide Jeananne's contact information, also to include information on tabletop signs

Monique has also added this issue to the next Library Staff meeting agenda to discuss

Desmond: Would it be possible to include Jeananne's contact information on the laptop desktops?

Committee agrees that Desmond's idea is a good idea

Monique: I will look into this possibility by asking Vince

-asks if Danielle would like to meet in person with Education Commons to talk with them about finding out possibilities about solving this issue

Danielle: is going to contact Patricia Tomlin of Accessibility Association for OISE students, perhaps she can attend the next OLSAC meeting

8. MakerSpace area on 3rd floor:

Monique: we have a small room that has Montesorri materials and the small room is breaking up a larger space, the walls are being removed over the winter break so there will be a much larger space and we will pull in some kits into the space

Navroop: kits we have purchased Makey-Makey, headsets, Makerspace activities, books and resources that support these activities

Monique: Would people use this space? How would they use it? Would instructors bring their students?

Paula: wants some clarification about these kits and what they are useful for, asks if there might be some education and exposure for students and teachers about what the space is set up for, and what these kits are for?

Desmond: talks about some of the applications of MakerSpace for example, Indigenous film-making and applications across other departments

Paula: asks who are the folks that might use or are already using these tools and suggesting that there should be some workshops or training sessions about using the kits, MakerSpace?

At this point, Monique takes all physically present committee members to the area in the Library where the MakerSpace would be: walls would be removed and then kits would put onto white board tables for students to work/experiment with, and also discussed that the electrical might have to be reconfigured to support MakerSpace kits

Ashleigh: wonders if it's going to be a mostly tech-focused MakerSpace, but also what about non-technology kits?

Navroop: These are good questions to consider: what to have in the space and what kinds of kits would be useful

in the space

Danielle: asks if we are supposed to think about what to offer in the space?

Monique: Yes, we are just figuring this out. We want to ask students for their input about what should be in this space: within the context of education, how might people use this space? For example, Brock has a MakerSpace that includes Allison Dye Cutters for teachers to use to make signs for their classrooms. What kinds of activities and tools would be useful in a space like this?

Ian: So we need to bring these ideas and questions to people we know and find out what they would like to see?

Kate: Do we want to make a list of questions to send out to our networks or a Google Doc and send it to our networks so people can add their ideas?

Danielle: Do you want our input as well?

Monique: Yes!

Danielle: discusses white board tables

Monique: I would like to keep this space a flexible space: where students want to write, want to use the STEM kits or other kits, so keep the ideas coming

Danielle: It will be an open space, the walls will be removed, yes? What will be inside the space?

Monique: Just white board tables, and let's dream big and get ideas and how this would be useful to you as students and as teachers and what you might use with your students one day

Paula: It would be interesting and useful to have some understanding of these kits and some guiding questions would be useful for those of us who don't know what is included in these kits and what they are used for.

Danielle: the space could be an inspirational space for writing and thinking and creativity.

Kate: It seems that we need to clarify what these spaces and kits might be, based on Paula's questions, some of us need a more clearer understanding of what these kits and spaces are. Can we clarify for Paula about what a MakerSpace or Makey-Makey kit?

Paula: Yes, and how these things are connected to curriculum?

Monique: explains about MakerSpaces as spaces of creativity with a variety of tools, creative technologies,

resources—our space is what we are trying to figure out what it might look like. Calling it a MakerSpace might be too narrow.

Ian: I will create a Google Doc and send it around for people's ideas for the space, as well as ideas for possible names for the space

9. Accessibility Issue #2

Monique: received a concern from a student about the accessible computer that it is a bad location because a.) it calls out the fact that students who use it have an accessibility issue because it sits separately from the other computers, and b). it's in a noisy area that makes focused work difficult

Monique: Is wondering where we might move this computer—possibly swap it with a computer on the 2nd floor—wants to know who we should contact for input on this: perhaps the Accessibility Committee

Danielle: agrees that Accessibility Committee should be contacted

Paula: suggests Students for Barrier-Free Access.

Kate: Could we consult both committees on this issue?

Danielle: I would take this on and reach out to these different groups to find a solution.

Ian: Great, Danielle will reach out to this group.

10. Library Resources

Paula: brings up the difference btwn the resources OISE Library has for K-12 students versus the resources for those of us in Adult Education: it's hard to find resources that are up-to-date, relevant and age-appropriate. I consulted the Festival of Literacies (which I am a part of)- we connect Adult Ed practitioners with Adult Ed research and they got back to me with their thoughts. They felt OISE library is good for online sources and the Indigenous adult-based resources, and they appreciate these things. But they would also like to see more curriculum resources and documents. It's hard to find Adult Ed resources but it seems that OISE that locally developed Adult Ed curriculum resources. For example, what about an adult education catalogue that includes

literacy practitioners, research and practitioners?

Ian: Summarizes: you are talking about the lack of representation of Adult Ed resources in the Library?

Yes, representation. For example, it was hard to find government documents on literacy and basic skills but the links were broken. But there were references like Grass Roots Press but maybe this could be investigated about what is there, what's working and not working and what's available?

Monique: thanks for consulting on this. It's very valuable that this is a gap that people are seeing. We have a budget so please send me the names of any authors/publishers for resources and we can just buy those. Government documents are a more difficult issue. Most gov't docs are online and our colleagues at Robarts are working on this but it is obvious from what you are saying that these documents are not find-able so I will speak to them.

We will try to develop a LibGuide-a word press site that lets us put together a webpage resource that people can go to find these documents and resources. So please send us ideas about authors and publishers in terms of what you want us to purchase

What do you need and what are you having trouble finding and how can we pull this together in a virtual spot so that we can provide that for you?

Paula: I will check with my contacts and get back to you.

11. Study Rooms in the Library

Monique: a couple times a year, I get requests from students who want to book the library rooms for longer than the current timeframe. Monique goes over the document (on booking study rooms) she sent out via email.

We are trying to find the right balance: that as many people who want to use the rooms can, and that they get the enough time. I would like one policy that includes all of the 26 rooms.

How do we find out what the student body wants in terms of how to manage these rooms and whether or not to increase the time people can book the rooms?

Ian: Jason emailed me about this. He wanted know the possibility of bringing up first-come/first served basis?

Monique: different libraries have different policies. There are several issues to consider about how to handle whether to book or do a first-come/first-served system.

-conversation needs to continue to our next meeting, there are a lot of decisions to make regarding this issue.

Ian: we will take this issue to the next meeting

12. Further issues for next meeting

Ian: Does anyone else have anything to add?

Danielle: I wanted to bring forward some issues about books available in French.

Ian: We will add that to the agenda for next week.

Danielle: Yes.

Ian: Any other items for our next meeting?

Committee: No other items.

Ian: End of the meeting, we will meet again Thursday, February 15, 2018. Meeting adjourned.

Tasks to be completed:

1.) Monique will post minutes from last OLSAC meeting (Oct. 26, 2017) on website

2.) Monique will post approved OLSAC Terms of References document on website

3.) Monique adds software/laptop accessibility issue to next meeting's agenda

-Monique will also ask Vince if it's possible to include Jeananne's contact information on the laptop desktops

4.) Danielle will contact Patricia Tomlin of Accessibility Association for OISE students to ask if she can attend the next OLSAC meeting

5.) Ian will create a Google Doc and send it around for people's ideas for the "Maker Space," as well as ideas for possible names for the space

6.) Danielle will contact Accessibility Committee and Students for Barrier-Free Access to discuss options for

moving the accessibility computers in the library to a different location that isn't so noise/separated from other computers

7.) Paula will reach out to contacts in Adult Ed to obtain list of authors and publishers for more Adult Ed resources and put together a list for Monique to purchase

8.) Monique to add to next meetings' agenda:

Booking Library Study Rooms

French resources

Information from Monique - University of Toronto Libraries Study Rooms

OISE Library Study Room use for the time period November 22, 2016 – November 23, 2017:

- Total hours booked: 34,945
- Total number of bookings: 11,790
- Average length of bookings: ~3 hours

For additional information about OISE Library study rooms and policies, see: <https://oise.library.utoronto.ca/services-study-spaces>

For additional information about other library study rooms, see <https://onereach.library.utoronto.ca/group-study-rooms>

Library	Total # Study Rooms	Who can book?	Max. # Hours / Day	Max. # Hours / Week	Advance Booking
OISE	26 in total: 16 "individual" rooms (5 can seat 2 people); the rest are group study rooms (2-8 people)	22 restricted to members of the OISE community 4 (on Concourse) are open to the entire UofT community	4 hours / day	28 (4 hours x 7 days)	Up to 2 weeks in advance

Robarts	69 in total: All are group study rooms	Open to all members of the UofT community	3 hours / day	21 (3 hours x 7 days)	25 are bookable (up to 4 weeks in advance); the remainder are first-come, first-served
Gerstein	19 in total All are group study rooms	Open to all members of the UofT community	N/A	3 hours / week	Up to 2 weeks in advance
Music	1 in total	Open to all members of the UofT community	2 hours / day	14 (2 hours x 7 days)	Up to 4 weeks in advance
St. Mike's	5 in total All are group study rooms	Open to all members of the UofT community	3 hours / day	21 (3 hours x 7 days)	Only one room can be booked in advance (up to 4 weeks in advance); the other 4 rooms are first-come, first-served
UTM	30 in total All are group study rooms	Open to all members of the UofT community	2 hours / day	Students can place up to 2 bookings at a time	29 of the 30 rooms can be booked in advance; 1 is first-come, first-served
UTSC	11 in total All are group study rooms	Restricted to UTSC students; contact the Library to request an exception	2 hours / day	14 (2 hours x 7 days)	6 rooms can be booked in advance (up to 2 weeks in advance); 5 are first-come, first-served

